A page out of India’s top Interior designer
Kohelika Kohli's LuxeList for all things
design & decor
- team luxe List
Kohelika Kohil’s reputation speaks for itself. She believes that the job of an architect/designer cannot be simply based on one’s credentials and academic qualifications. An equally important role is played by one’s experiences and exposures to people, places and cultures. Running K2 India with her mother Sunita Kohil (Padma Shri,1992) since 2010 the firm has found an indisputable place on the map of India’s top Interior Designers.
A graduate of Pratt Institute of Design in New York, Kohelika started out as an intern at the prestigious architecture and design firm Oliver cope architects, within a year she was conceptualising and executing architecture and interior work.
Join us as she shares her insights on all things design and decor and her recommendations for all the things she loves right now.
1. If you had to sum up your design philosophy in one sentence it would be ...
One’s work should be true to the place, culture to your client and to yourself.
2. If you had to splurge on one specific piece of furniture or artefact or art, what’s at the top of your wish list right now
A bed with a Hastens mattress because for me good sleep is the ultimate luxury.
3. Flooring trends that you love right now
For me, wooden flooring is a classic. I love how Hard-wood production companies are playing with sizes and laying patterns.
4. A recent piece of furniture you sourced, or custom-made for one of your projects that you are obsessed with
The Laila Sideboard, was designed by me and first manufactured in 2019 and launched by us in Feb 2020. COVID struck, so it is only now, that this sexy sideboard is doing its rounds...to California, London, Dubai, Mumbai, Chennai and, of course, in homes in Delhi and Gurgaon.
5. Share with us a mood board for your dream master master bath
6. A few cool shops you have spotted on your travels
In a recent visit to Italy, the new Poltrona & Frau showroom in Milan.
Pianod in Florence for Art Decco furniture and lights.
Flavio Mariani in Gardone Riviera on Lake Garda for small antique silver.
7. Stores you don’t miss visiting in different cities across the world
Crate and Barrel, New York.
MOMA Design Shop, New York.
The Rizzoli Book Store, New York.
The Grand Bazaar, Istanbul.
The spice Market, Istanbul.
Hatchards Bookshop, London.
Fortnum and Mason, London.
8. A new brand of furniture/ lighting/ decor you discovered recently and are excited to work with or use in your upcoming projects
Durame, Italy (Furniture)
AS’ART, Paris (Handicraft)
NANIMARQUINA, Barcelona (CARPETS)
ONDARRETA, Spain (Furniture)
Airnova, Milan, Italy (Furniture)
DA A, Italy (Furniture)
CHALK, Paris (Woven, Throws, Cushion)
9. Where do you recommend buying art from if art investing isn’t the goal
Renu Modi’s ‘Gallary Espace’
Sharan’s ‘Apparao Galleries’
10. Stores in India you recommended to source unique fabrics for curtains and upholstery
Shades of India
11. The most extravagant customisation or buy you have done for a client.
Decorative Ceiling Lights from Venini in Venice and antique lights from Osler in England.
12. For bed linen I love...
Shades of India.
13. Your absolute favourite places to shop for homeware across the world
Crate and Barrel, New York
14. What does luxury in interior design really mean to you
A space that lets your soul breathe, a space where you get the best night’s sleep and a space you want to go back to even when you are in a 7-star resort.
K2India is a New Delhi based multi–disciplinary design and architectural firm constituted, in 2010, by Sunita Kohli and her daughter, Kohelika Kohli. It was established, as their brand, to bring all the design disciplines practiced by their various companies, under one umbrella.
K2India is driven by the pursuit of excellence and quality. They strongly believe that one’s surroundings directly influence the quality of one’s lives – whether in the work place, at home or the public spaces in between. Their approach is rooted in a firm belief that design is fundamental to improving the quality of life , and with an integrated and unified approach
About K2 India